When I woke up in God’s own country: Kerala


Day 1: The Backwaters!                                           

We reached Alleppey before the dawn broke. A few cups of tea later, we set on our task to find a good and affordable houseboat for our day’s travel. Midway, good food at a local restaurant set the mood for the day.
The weather was cool and everything was just right for a wonderful boat trip in the Kerala Backwaters!

All excited!
Jaladharshani caught our eyes. It was a beautiful boat, yet affordable (some of the rarities of life). We hopped on our Jaladharshani, and thus began the backwaters voyage!
Our Jaladharshani
Notice the odd thing out. A netbook!
The next few hours were sheer bliss. A small boat in the backwaters of Kerala with a bunch of excited college batch mates. And in front of us was the beautiful Kerala. I rubbed the lens of my SONY H55 with my sleeves. It was time to capture the backwaters…
A bigger fish.
 The Sun and the Waters.
Spot the difference #1
Spot the difference #2
Along came a Kabadiwalah on a boat!
Never saw one on a boat before!
By the time it turned noon, we were lazily lying on our backs with bright sunshine on our faces. It was so cozily warm.
System Restore Point

The Kiss
Slowly. And Steadily. We kept moving ahead. Hours later, we reached a place where there was water all around. And as if it was just not enough, along came the rains too!!!
Hawaa mein udtaa jaae...

I see land, sailors!
The Grey and the Green
The Grey, the Green, and the Houseboat
Rains had had their share of fun. And we too. We entered an area where the water was as green as the trees above. I couldn’t take my eyes off it all!
Tires look better on backwaters than on roads.
The Window
The photograph above is one of my favorites. It is like a memory peg that I would continue to refer back to every time I feel over burdened with the monotonicity of the otherwise boring life. The pic says that there are many wonderful things to be seen and done in this world.
And they all are waiting for us.
Finally, the backwaters trip was over. We had some really delicious seafood in a local restaurant, and then headed to Kochin. The day 2 was about to begin, and with the prospect of visiting large tea plantations, it all looked very promising!
A little bit of posing on Kochin Marine drive doesn't hurt anyone. Does it? :)

3 Comments:

Shrishti Sinha said...

Paradiseis the word. An equable climate, sun kissed beaches, emerald backwaters, idyllic hill stations, exotic wildlife, breathtaking waterfalls, Ayurvedic health holidays, enchanting art forms, magical festivals, historical monuments, a mouthwatering cuisine ..hope u had a nicee tym as pic define it well too

P. Soumya said...

breathtaking photos!! wonderful post :)

luxury hotels in calicut said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search
for something relating to this.

Post a Comment

If you're not a robot, go ahead and use the word verification. Thanks!